Tuesday, May 25, 2010

To Be Right or To Be Happy

The book I've been reading throws the question: "Do I want to be 'right' -- or do I want to be happy?" And I was reading this while I was waiting for my tires to be replaced. Today was my day off and I had so much that I wanted to do that I actually had a list, and it was in chronological order. Did I get to check off everything in the list? No. Did I get to follow the order of how I wanted to do things on my list? No again. So here goes my story...

I really intended to do these things: Go to Kaiser to get my son's medical form for school filled out, have my tires replaced, get a car wash, get my son from school early to take him to the post office to apply for a passport and finally have a haircut. All these things, I wanted to nail on my day off. In reality, it should have been doable but then again maybe only if things went as I have planned.

I started early only to find out that for me to be able to get a passport for my son, I would need his birth certificate. Since I'm in the middle of moving and packing, I can't find it. So I had to request for a copy. But of course, it would have to be complicated. I need to have something notarized. So, I saw one close to my son's school. They were still close so I decided, I will have breakfast first and just come back for it. An hour later, I came back only to find out that the Notary no longer works there. And things just went down from there.

I then went to have my tires replaced. While I was at it, I had my oil changed too. I tried to find Notary Public around the area and I couldn't so I read and read. Mom calls me and asks me what I'm doing and where I was. This is where all the drama begins.

She tells me that I need to set my priorities straight... that I don't know how to say "no" at work... that I should have had taken care of Patrick's dental and medical long time ago... that I should have at least a copy of Patrick's birth certificate... that the passport should have been renewed so that they can purchase the ticket... that I should start moving... And believe me, that is overwhelming to be reminded of all the things I need to do !!! I know I have that much in my plate and it's not that I don't consider them urgent, it's just I haven't had the chance to get things done because work has been crazy.

I really am trying not to bug my mom so that she wouldn't have to be stressed out over my personal stuffs. But I guess the mommy in her is just concerned on how I'm trying to be wonder woman almost to the point that I am refusing to get any help.

I don't want to be a burden to anybody. And I really try to do things on my own. It doesn't help though when I get reminded too many times of the many things that needs to get done. That's what made my mom and I argue... I knew that she has a point but I wanted to defend myself and say everything is still under control. So it's so crazy that right after this whole thing happened, I came across the "question"

Is it really worth it to try to always prove that you are right? Why would you have to argue? And why do you always have to be in defense? That's what it is. We always have to prove that we know what we are doing and refuse to accept the other possibilities and it gets tiring after awhile. Maybe there will be times when you just have to let go. Besides, no one is keeping score of how many times you were right. People would probably remember more the number of times that you made them feel good. I'm not saying don't stand by what you believe in but sometimes, you have to ask yourself, was it worth fighting for?

As to the argument my mom and I had... I guess she was the bigger person by calling me again and telling me we should all go to the mall after I get Patrick from school. She didn't bring anything up from our previous conversation but I think she understands that I'm trying my best to get everything done and she just have to trust me that I can do it. Again, here I am trying to be wonder woman....

No comments:

Post a Comment