Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Aiming for Perfection

I was reading chapter 1 of my book and it cited this example, if someone cuts in front of you when you're driving, instead of letting it ruin your day, just let it go and try be compassionate towards that person. We know how it feels when we are in such a hurry... Who knows why that person was rushing. Maybe it was an emergency.

Ok! I get it!!! But it's easier said than done. Ironically, this morning, I saw a dent and some scratches on my car, someone hit my car with their door. So basing on the statement above, I should let it go, right???

Here's the thing... Since I've had that car, this would have been the fourth time that my car was hit while it was parked. And none of them were kind enough to leave a note or something. Two of the incidents were minor but the other two were really, really bad. So as much as I want to just let it go, I'm ranting about it here. Hahaha.

If you know me, you would know that I don't get mad easily. And even if I do get upset, it takes so much effort for me to show it. If anything, I just cry. So how did I handle this situation? I bought a special car wax that is supposed to take out minor scratches months ago and I have kept it in my car for incidents like this. Thus when I got to work this morning I was waxing my car to see if it will take the scratch off. It did but there was still a dent so I can still tell that something happened to it. But I just let it be and not dwell on it too much. If anything, it's just the exterior of the car. I small rock can easily hit my car while I'm on the freeway so really, this shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Chapter 2 talks about embracing imperfection. This is a direct hit!!!

My ex and I broke up in January and the reason I've always given is this: I shouldn't settle for anything less than what I deserve. My ex on the other hand tells me that I shouldn't seek for things that we didn't have but rather cherish, the things that we did have. I am not going to expound of the details of our break up but I do believe that things happen for a reason. I don't regret my decision. It was all for the best. Who knows, we might still end up together... We just need to work on certain things on our own for now.

At work, I like things to be organized. I'm not exactly a control freak but I am very particular on certain things. Not that I insist that things need to be the way I want them to be but it really make things a lot easier if we have a system that everybody understands and follows. Hopefully, my co-workers doesn't hate me for that.

I do admit though that I stop myself from delegating work to my coworkers because I am afraid that they won't do it the right way. I am always afraid when I take a day off thinking that things could possibly go wrong while I'm not there. Though some of my fears are valid because I find myself fixing things here and there when someone else does it, I really need to take the time to either teach them how to do it correctly, or not have them do it at all.

I told myself not too long ago that I will list down the things that I need to do and not do in 2010. As if writing them down will save me from making any mistakes. As if this list will assure me that things will be perfect this year. Who am I fooling???

Now, I have to remind myself that it's not about ceasing to do your very best but with being too attached and focused on what's wrong with your life. There's nothing wrong with aiming higher just as long as you know how to appreciate what you have. Don't underestimate the things that you have achieved thinking that those weren't good enough. You just got to embrace everything that you have and cherish all your success no matter how small you may think they are.

I have to stop putting myself down insisting that I could do more when really what I have done now is fine if not more that what is expected of me. I can be too tough on myself sometimes and I just find ways to punish myself hard. Really, I need to let certain things go and tell myself, even without me being too judgemental, everything will be ok, life will go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment